Children are like delicate flowers and supposed to be handled with utmost care and love. Childhood is a crucial stage where children grow and develop both at mental and physical level. It has been said that whatever is taught at this initial stage, stays with them forever; making every parent to face this consistent pressure of installing good teaching and learning in them. The question arises here is – what is an effective teaching process for children? What if all the efforts go in wrong direction? How children will adapt all the teachings in a right possible way? What are the principles of teaching children every parent should know?
Let’s see the following principles of teachings to clear out all the concerns and dilemmas:
- Assure that you are always there for them: Always be there for your child no matter what. It is one of the major principles of teaching and learning. Assuring them this will open up your children to discuss their problems with you, whether it is related to academics or life. Your presence will lend them a sense of security and comfort of discussing their issues with you.
- Carefully listen and understand your children: In order to provide best teaching to your child, you first need to become a good listener. Carefully listen and understand their concerns. This will encourage your child to highlight their problems and help you extract out the loopholes in the process they are struggling with.
- Allow children to take their own stand and decisions: It’s totally fine to give some authority and power of taking decisions to your children. Let the children decide the difference between good and bad for themselves. It will help them to grow analytically and emotionally.
- Always acknowledge and appreciate your children’s effort: Suppose your child is struggling solving a mathematic problem or a puzzle and not getting success in the same, it’s the duty of parents to appreciate the efforts. Tell them it is okay if they have not found the right answer or solution, there is always a next time. While praise in itself is heartening, it can be much more effective when it’s coming from parents.
- Understand every child is different: Never compare your child with anyone. Always keep in mind that every child is different in its own way. This comparing tendency of parents often disappoints them and sometimes increases their rigidity level to understand your perceptions. Never lay guilt trips on your child that they are not standing uptoyour expectations. It can affect them mentally, making all the learning and teaching process going on a wrong track. Every child has a range of strengths and everything will not be apparent all at once.
- Break the monotony: Parents should break the monotonous routine of teaching and learning process and introduce new innovative methods of teaching to grasp things better.
- Provide a positive emotional climate in your home: If children are provided with a good and positive atmosphere, the learnings will happen at a fast pace. Children are very innocent and treating them harshly in a strict environment is certainly not going to shape their minds.
- Promote deep learning: Parents should ensure that children should to be able to think critically and develop a deep understanding of the subjects. Developing this deep understanding requires parents injecting a foundational set of knowledge and skills in them in a friendly way.
If all these points are kept in mind, you will surely understand the perceptions and thought process of your child and provide them an effective process of teaching.